Who doesn’t love fresh, hot fritters served with chilli sauce! The taste is even better when you can just make it at home. Today we have sweetcorn fritters recipes for you, so you can enjoy them anytime at home! For more recipes, visit the food recipe blog – foodism. Before we start, let’s look at the history of sweetcorn-
Corn was first used by the native people of Southern Mexico about 10,000 years ago. It was very much different from the present-day modern corn! Derived from the Balsas teosinte (Zea mays parviglumis), a wild grass, its culture spread as far north as southern Maine by the time of European settlement of North America, and Native Americans taught European colonists to grow the indigenous grains. From there, it spread to the rest of the world!
Native Americans had developed many corn-based recipes and even today, most of the South depends on corn meal for their daily needs. While frying was not used by the native Americans, it, later on, was adopted as the main cooking method and is still practised mostly in America. From there Europeans also adopted the frying method and the corn fritter was formed!
Today we have 2 recipes of corn fritters which are super easy to make, here we go-
- 500 g sweetcorn
- 2 eggs beaten
- 200 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Slice spring onions
- Finely chopped coriander
- Spices- Garlic powder, salt, pepper, chilli flakes
- Whisk the yolk and whites to form a smooth mixture.
- Adds the flour and baking powder.
- Add in the spices such as salt, pepper, chilli powder along with spring onion. Coriander and sweet corn.
- Add ginger-garlic paste or garlic powder.
- Heal oil and add the batter by a spoon and fry it for 2 minutes on each side.
- Your corn fritters are ready to serve!
- 200 g sweetcorn
- Finely chopped onions
- 1 cup of grated zucchini
- 5 tsp smoked paprika
- 80g self-raising flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Spices- salt, white pepper
- Lemon juice
- In a bowl, add sweetcorn, onion, and zucchini and then drain the released water.
- Add, beaten egg, paprika, spices and flour and mix.
- Mix the sweetcorn, spring onions, courgette, paprika, flour, beaten egg, milk and some seasoning in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop the fitter mixture by a spoon and fry from both sides.
- Serve the fritters with chilli sauce!
Now you have the corn fritter recipe easy to make and delicious to eat! If you don’t want to use eggs, here is a vegan recipe you can follow-
Vegan Corn Fritters
- 120 g all-purpose flour
- 80 g cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- 180 ml soy milk
- 250 g corn
- Thinly slices green onions
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, add flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, chilli powder, garlic and baking powder and whisk.
- Add milk until the mixture is combined. Add a few tsbp of oil to make the batter smooth.
- Add corn, onions and bell pepper and fold.
- Heat up in a deep pan, and add oil.
- Once the oil is sizzling, add the batter by the spoon and fry!
- Cook from both sides and then serve with the sauce of your choice!
Perfect to enjoy in the monsoon season, you are going to love these fritters. Happy cooking!